Tuesday, November 15, 2011

D-R-A-M-A!


I'm a little nervous about writing this post because I know how controversial it's going to be.
But it's been weighing on my heart lately, so here I go.


Christmas time. When do you start celebrating?

Or should I say, when are you allowed to start celebrating?
After Thanksgiving? When Disneyland decorates? When Christmas music comes on the radio? Christmas in July? December 24th at the stroke of midnight? I just don't know why so many people care and are deeply disgusted when someone celebrates "too early"?

I've been seeing friends put pictures of their trees up lately and everyone screams "What the HECK?!?!?!?!?!?! IT'S NOT EVEN THANKSGIVING!!!!!!" I'll walk through the store and hum happily to the Christmas tunes and then some grinch exclaims "Christmas Music?? It's 90 degrees outside for petes sake!" Tonight I was going for a walk and listening to Christmas songs on my iphone and every time someone would pass me I would get a hot flash and turn it off. I was scared someone would scream at me "Um excuse me, but what exactly do you think you're doing you big jeark? I am the seasonal police and you are in violation of the holiday code." My next door neighbors put up their lights yesterday and I clapped my hands silently and whispered yaaay to myself. I don't dare tell anyone in fear they'll come rip them down. But why? Why am I not allowed to celebrate Christmas halfway through November? Why is that so upsetting? Can't I enjoy the birth of Jesus, stuff my face with peppermint chocolate, dress my baby in Rudolph slippers and track Santa online as early as I want? Why are people online saying "Would you look at this?? Christmas Trees!! In OCTOBER!!!"

If I put up my American flag in June do you think someone would come knocking, it's not even July yet you freak! Take it down! Are we scared Christmas Cheer is going to run out? Are we frightened we won't have enough holly jollies come December 25th? Im genuinely interested, you people who have strong opinions. Please explain.


5 comments:

Law Rhen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Law Rhen said...

if i may i'd like to quote kevin mccallister. "they're all a bunch of jerks"

thank you and merry christmas and ho ho ho.

karin said...

I think it is a preference thing. I LOVE Thanksgiving so I don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. But we saw Christmas lights up Nov 1st and I like it. If I had been home this weekend, I probably would have decorated for Christmas because we won't be here for Thanksgiving.

I do have a hard time with stores skipping holidays/events to get a jump on more profitable holidays.

Erika said...

Drew and I put our Christmas tree up this past weekend. That should be clear enough about our opinions on the matter! My sister FREAKS OUT if there's any hint of Christmas before Thanksgiving. I'm not sure why either. She's the middle child, so you know they've gotta get attention anyway they can I guess. I think it boils down to Thanksgiving getting left out. But since when did Thanksgiving get to be so sensitive?

Em said...

You already know my opinions on the matter, but next year I think we might just decorate Nov 1. I love having the stuff up early. Plus, Christmas takes a lot of prep, so this gives me more time. I really just get angry with stores who decorate before Halloween because I feel like they're trying to take advantage of my wallet by stretching their big retail season as long as they can.