Monday, October 3, 2011

Hands full of good things

So as I was coming home from the store I was thinking of the list of things I had to do the second I got home. What, you ask? Change Sawyer, put the groceries away, put S down for a nap, go to the bathroom, maybe drink some water so I don't absolutely die from thirst, eat 2 caramello bars. What did I do when I got home, you ask? Put all the cold stuff away while S played with a plastic bag that says "warning!!! Not a toy!!!!", took him off the stairs 800 times, changed his diaper, put up the curtains up in his room, put him down for a nap, put the rest of the groceries away. Did you notice what I didn't do? I hope you did because there will be a test at the end of this blog. No water, no potty, no caramello bar(s). I was a little overwhelmed, thinking about how life used to be before my little love. I could leave when I wanted to on a whim. Go get a manicure, pedicure AND my eyebrows waxed without looking at my watch once. In fact, what's a watch? It was just me me me. And Kevin. But this article totally reminded me of what it means to be a mom. To "run to the cross" and lay down my life to take care of another little life, and oh how it changed my perspective on everything. I'm a little obsessed with it too, if you haven't noticed. It's on FaceBook, twitter, and I've tattooed it to Sawyer's left arm so I'll always remember that I'm not a mom because it's convenient, I'm not a mom because I didn't have anything better to do, and I'm definitely not a mom because it's easy. I'm a mom because I was called to be a mom, and what a divine calling it is. I just need to be reminded, and often, that it really is wonderful to be so needed.
Read the article here

No comments: